Del Sol / Lianco Automatic Grinding Machines
Grind Station is a 5 axis CNC casting grinding machine. The Grind Station can be paired with full finishing automation solutions, but at its core, the Grind Station provides for a simple, RIGID solution for grinding castings. The Grind Station can be programmed via CAM software or lead through programming and can be used for either jobbing or high volume applications.
A unique offering is the Grind Station's ability to remove risers in ferrous applications. Other vendors can degate aluminum. We can degate iron and steel castings as well.
- VIDEO OF GRINDSTATION CONSTRUCTION PLANT - SEEING IS BELIEVING
- LARGE CASTING GRINDING WITH GS120 - IRON TRUCK PART
- NICE VIDEO OF OUR STANDARD TWO TOOL SPINDLE IN USE ON IRON CASTING
- HOW DOES THE GRIND STATION DO WITH HEAVY FLASH?
- BRAKE CALIPER BEING GROUND
- MANUAL LEAD THROUGH PROGRAMMING METHOD
- RESULT OF MANUAL PROGRAMMING VIDEO ABOVE
- CAM RENDERING and MACHINE MOTIONS
- FULL AUTOMATION OPTIONS FOR LOADING AND UNLOADING
- FULL AUTOMATION INCLUDING LOAD / UNLOAD OF CASTINGS AND FIXTURES
- GS40 WALKAROUND TOUR
General Machine Configuration
The standard Grind Station features...
- A two fixture turntable so you can load parts while another is in process.
- A double ended spindle (on the left below) with two main wheel types as standard. A 20 tool changer is also an option.
- A CNC pedestal for adjusting the elevation of the part relative to the cutting tools.
- A direct hold down clamp for parts used during grinding.
- Complete enclosure for safety and sound dampening.
CNC Controls and Programming
The machine is controlled by a CNC operating system based on Siemens CNC Controller as standard. The Grind Station includes a user friendly HMI to allow the operator easy control for production, part change over, and tool management.
Programming is accomplished as either lead through (on machine) or offline.
- Lead through programming is performed with a teach pendant where the operator leads the machine through the grind points and stores as they go.
- Off line programming is performed with CAM postprocessors. The standard recommended program is CGTECH, but MasterCAM and other CNC posrprocessors can be used. Lianco provides the solid models for the machine and tools for your use in CAM modeling.
- Force feedback is included and automatic. This function slows the grind feed rate when higher than normal running amperage is experienced due to heavy parting line flashing or stickers.
- Cycle time tolerance: ±10% based on going from off line programming to the reality of running a casting.
Standard Dimensional Control
- Maximum flash length: 0.60" (15 mm) nominal
- Maximum recommended iron thickness to remove for flashing: 0.20" (5 mm)
- Tolerance after grinding: +/- 0.039" (1.0 mm)
- Machine repeatability: +/- 0.0039" (0.1 mm)
Integral Laser Measuring System
The Grind Station is built as standard with the ability to laser measure each part as required prior to grinding to prevent crashes and also adjust for common casting variance. We all know that no two castings are the same. The Grind Station takes this into account by design. You will see in the below photo the laser mounted to the tool spindle. The laser measuring can be integrated into programs as needed for predictive adjustments to the program. Essentially, for a section of the program, you take a measurement of the casting and that is compared to the standard program. Casting variance is calculated and offset can be automaticall programmed. This is ideal for dealing with mold shift / mold swell and the like.
Optional Cutting Tool Changer
The Grindstation is configured as standard with two cutting tools. However, for increased flexiblity, we offer a 20 tool CNC tool changer.
A Wide Variety of Cutting Tool Options
Below are a few of the "typical" cutting tools used. The primary grinding and cutoff wheel is a 12.6" diameter wheel. x 0.50" Thick The standard secondary wheel is a 2.75" dia x 1" thick. However, either tool can obviously be changed to meet your casting requirements. Here are a few tools configurations available but these are only a small sampling of options. Since the Grind Station can both grind and cut off, we can suuply tools for everything from straight riser cut off to realtively tiight internal grinding.
Automatic Load / Unload Systems Available
Grind Station is a stand alone grinding solution. However, we can also incorporate fully automatic load / unload, box pickers, and automatic storage / retrieval systems to significantly reduce labor in your foundry.
Contact Del Sol Services to learn more about the industrial grinding machinery or for a consultation.